FAQ’s for North Shore Shark Adventures
Hawaii Shark Encounters FAQ’s
Have a series of questions before you go Shark Cage Diving on Oahu? Hopefully the below list will answer them all. If it doesn’t, please contact us at North Shore Shark Adventures
• How much time do we spend in the cage? 20 minutes.
• How long do we spend on the boat? Approximately 1.5 hrs.
• How many people are placed into the cage? This is decided by the captain based on passenger size and count. Although it varies, usually 6-8 guests.
• How many cage drops does each trip make? It can range from 1-3 depending on passenger count.
• Can I go in the cage for more than 1 drop? Usually no. Sometimes the passenger count is low enough for our captains to consider a second drop.
• Can I go into the cage if I’m pregnant? Yes, you can be up to 7 months pregnant.
• What types of sharks do we see? Mostly Galapagos and Sandbar sharks which can reach up to 12+ feet (4 meters). Occasionally, Tiger or Hammerhead.
• What else do we see out there? Humpback Whales (seasonal), barracuda, manta-rays, dolphins, turtles, yellow fin tuna, ulua, birds, and other marine life.
• Can we swim outside the cage? No.
• Is the cage completely submerged underwater? No. The top of the cage stands about 2 feet out from the water.
• Do you provide masks and snorkels? Yes, and cold drinking water. No fins needed.
• Can I bring my underwater video camera? Yes, we encourage clients to bring their equipment as long as it doesn’t interfere with others in the cage.
• Do I need a wet suit? No. The water is warm enough. If you feel the need you’re welcome to bring your own, we don’t rent.
• Do you operate rain or shine? Definitely
• Is parking free? Yes. Check in at the Shark Shack and we’ll direct you to the parking.
• Can I leave my infant with staff as I go into the cage? Yes, most of our staff are parents themselves.
• Do I need to take sea-sickness countermeasures? We recommend it and please follow the directions on the package. We do not offer it or have it available.
• Do you have a bathroom on board? No. Please use the restroom before boarding. See our Shark Shack for directions to the restroom.
• Shall I eat breakfast before the tour? You may experience motion sickness and nausea so eat at least an hour prior to your tour.
• If we miss our tour, can we be pushed back to a later tour? Yes at $43 pp + tax and is based on availability. Call us at 808-228-5900. A credit card is required to reschedule but you don’t pay until after the tour by cash or credit. We may waive the fee at our discretion.
• If I miss my tour, can I get a refund? At our discretion. We will consider medical emergencies and flight changes by the airline.
• Can we be assisted into and out of the cage and boat? Yes, our staff is available to assist and safety is are first most priority
• Do we provide transportation from the Ko Olina area? We do not provide transportation from that area, sorry.
• Can I catch the city bus to Haleiwa from Waikiki? Yes. Transit time is 2-3 hours each way. You can ask for assistance from your hotel concierge or front desk. From Waikiki, head to any bus stop and ask the next bus driver how to get to Haleiwa boat harbor.. For more info, check out our city bus website at The Bus